23.11.09

// soccer frenzy-Dutch style





About a month ago, I attended a soccer game along with my buddies Pete and Zak. Let me preface by pointing out I am a diehard sports fan and this is not my first time to a sporting event, but boy I was really impressed by the energy of the crowd, especially for supporting just a B team...

This was a match between the Jong Ajax (Younge Ajax) and the Jong PSV, respectively the reserve teams for the cities of Amsterdam and Eindhoven. Since they were only the B teams, entrance was free, and only the bottom half of the arena was open. The whole time we were shoulder to shoulder with thousands of drunk, rowdy, Dutch soccer hooligans. Every pass and tackle would trigger the crowd into a beautifully synchronized Ajax team song, choreographed with bobbing and hand motions. I don’t remember what the final score was, at the end it was much more entertaining watching the crowd reactions. If this was a sneak peak to an official Ajax game, imagine what it would be like to witness a World Cup soccer match.

Photos taken from Amsterdam ArenA. 




No comments:

Post a Comment